Sunday, January 10, 2016

Response to Course Material


Despite having a break during this blog cycle, we have covered a large amount of material, mostly related to The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. After annotating on our own, we discussed many different motifs and themes in class. I found the most interesting motif to be the way that many of the older women look out the window. This not only represented their unhappiness, but also commented on the nature of the woman's role in poor Latino neighborhoods and perhaps the institution of marriage as it relates to educational and professional opportunities, or the lack of them, for Latina women. I thought we covered a lot of other interesting points during class, especially when we participated in the "round table discussion." I thought this gave a lot of people a chance to share insights that they would not have contributed in the larger group.

We also briefly covered different literary eras and critical perspectives in a power point presentation. Most of the presentation was on information I covered in detail in American Lit, but there were a few new elements as well. It was interesting to hear about postmodern elements such as the simulacrum, which we discussed in American Lit, but not in as much detail. Mrs. Holmes also mentioned how contemporary literature implements "stream of consciousness" writing. It's surprising how much we rely on antecedents to follow traditional prose, and the lack of them makes even simple descriptions turgid.

We also recently started Shakespeare's Hamlet. In preparation, we read two articles about Elizabethan theater. I look forward to reading Hamlet in class and beginning to decipher this incredibly complex piece of writing that has captivated scholars for centuries. In eighth grade, I read it on my own and analyzed in from a psychoanalytical perspective. This time I look forward to seeing it from other angles and forming a stronger understanding of the play.

3 comments:

  1. I think it was interesting that you cited the gender roles as the thing you were most interested in in The House on Mango Street. I do think that the window motif and the whole portrayal of gender roles is arguably the most prominent theme in the book. I enjoyed the literary eras presentation even though we had already learned a lot of it. It was nice being able to go through each era in detail in one lesson as I have trouble retaining and organizing information in my head. I'm also excited about Hamlet. It's cool that your getting to read Hamlet for a second time, and will get to look at it from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thomas,

    Your response to course material is in depth and really allows me into your thinking and processing throughout the month. I too found the motif of women in the windows interesting. Did you find the class discussions to help you connect to the story better?
    With the literary eras, I like that you really learned something from the dual presentation as well as review material from last year. Going over it for a second time should help cement that into your long term memory. I also look forward to reading Hamlet as I have never read it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thomas. I also liked the round table discussions. I thought they really helped with participation. I know it isn't the same for you, but I really have difficulty speaking in those large discussions. So the fish bowl style discussion really helped. Also, what did you think about working together with Holmes class for the lectures? I thought it made the lesson more exciting. Is there anything else you enjoy about this class? I really want to hear personal opinions and experiences with the class activities. How did you feel about theme? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete