Sunday, October 25, 2015

Response to Course Material- 10/25/15


Since the last prompt about the course material, a lot has happened. Perhaps the most challenging assignment we had so far was the foster annotations. I enjoyed reading the book, but sadly made the same mistake as I did with The Nuts of Bolts of College Writing and I started my annotations far too late. However, this time it was not entirely due to my own inertia when it comes to starting long assignments. The entire assignment just slipped my mind. I have actually owned this book since eighth grade, when I started reading it in response to the tedium of my actual middle school lit class. At the time, I did not appreciate the applicability of Foster's interpretive suggestions. Reading this book again with an understanding of archetypal analysis already helped considerably. My assigned chapter was about the importance of season to the events in fiction. I thought it was amusing how he connected this to the lyrics of the Beach Boys, and so naturally I chose "Surfin' USA" as my corresponding popular culture reference. Overall, I enjoyed reading How to Read Literature Like a College Professor, and I don't believe I will be able to read another work of fiction without looking for the hidden, deeper intentions of the author.

In addition to the Foster, I enjoyed our discussions of American Dream.  I feel that we came up with a fairly all-encompassing theme statement, and that we were able to point out a lot of the main messages Albee wanted to convey. Of course, I was not thrilled taking the exam on American Dream, but I at least took comfort in my own understanding of absurdism and my ability to apply it under such stressful circumstances. The idea of a "theater of the absurd" was not even something I had heard of before this course, and yet now I feel it is crucial for accurately describing a large amount of contemporary literature.

My favorite new activity in A.P. Literature is probably the use of vocabulary.com. I found this site extremely useful for learning new words and broadening my understanding of words I thought I knew by introducing them in unfamiliar contexts. I will certainly continue to practice with this site to expand my verbal skills and maybe just for fun as well.

These three topics help with writing and analysis considerably, especially when used together. Understanding the general intentions and allusions that recur over and over again in literature is necessary for anyone interesting in fully appreciate the work of the greats. In addition, keeping in mind the possibility that an author may be implementing ideas from the theater of the absurd may be completely necessary for understanding more esoteric text. Those two skills combined with a generally superior vocabulary are bound to make me a much stronger scholar, for both this class, and down the road of higher education.


2 comments:

  1. You know, I think you’re the only person who thinks that a lot has happened between these “review” prompts. I didn’t consider annotating the foster book to be that big a deal. Then again I was reading twenty pages a day and finished early. Contrasting to your “born again reader” outlook, I have maintained my “just get the plot” out look on literature. While I did find the book to be interesting, I found it confusing and hard to follow. I think I would have potentially learned more if I had a bulleted list set in front of me. Due to my inability to grasp the concepts quickly, I don’t think I’ll be analyzing literature in my free time as opposed to enjoying the images in my head that form when I read.
    I’m glad that we’re done with The American Dream. I got a bit tired of rehashing the same arguments and details in class. I too, wasn’t thrilled about that test. I don’t know what I thought it would be. I started reviewing plot points and characters and then was completely caught off guard by the questions. Hopefully, in my flustered state, I managed to write something accurate.
    As for vocabulary.com, I found the words and definitions to be interesting. I would rather learn the words through reading and actual exposure instead of trying to memorize absurd definitions from a website. Do you have preference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your points about the Foster annotations. I can see how waiting a little too long to begin annotations would have made the assignment daunting. When you mentioned seeing symbolism in every piece of literature after reading this book, I realized how applicable this is to my life as well. Just yesterday, I went with my family to watch the new James Bond movie and saw the symbolism everywhere.
    One of the only opinions of mine that differed from yours in this post would be your love of vocabulary.com. I find the site helpful, but not really enjoyable.
    I think your post was a great over view of what we have learned so far!

    ReplyDelete